Open Source Game Clones
This site tries to gather open-source remakes of great old games in one place. If you think that something is missing from the list - please go to our GitHub repository and create an issue or even a pull request!
Since all these projects are open-source you can help them and make this world a better place. Or at least you can play something to appreciate the effort people put in them.
- Free Gamer, a blog dedicated to open source game news
- Unix ASCII games, a list of opensource text-based games
- List of Open Source Games, list of open source games in mature/beta state
- Games on GitHub, list of open source games and game-related projects that can be found on GitHub
- LibreGameWiki, the free gaming encyclopedia
A Remake is a game where the executable and sometimes the assets as well are remade open source. Some of these games aren't exact remakes but evolution of original ones, which were eventually open sourced.
A Clone is a game which is very similar to or heavily inspired by a game or series.
A Similar game is one which has similar gameplay but is not a clone.
A Tool is not a game, but something that assists in playing or modding the game, such as a high resolution patch, or resource extractor.